27 Apr 2009

Proud to be a भारतीय !

Blast from the Past

Searching for some stuff in my cove, I actually tripped upon some old treasure. It was a file that contains, as it's label read, 'Original Creations by Vigro'. Well, it's my childhood collection of poems, I(Vipul Grover) wrote more than a decade ago. Here I am going to reproduce two of them, both dedicated to my love, my country India.
The first written in English is more of an anthem. Read it for yourself.

I am proud of my motherland,
I am proud of her holy sands.
Crowned by the Himalayan Ranges,
Garlanded by the pure Ganges.
Three seas washing Her Holy feet,
The Land where various cultures meet.
The true example of unity in diversity,
The land of oneness and integrity.
I am proud to be her citizen,
I am proud to be an Indian.

I know calling India the true example of unity in diversity may not go so well with many of her critics. However, we must salute her resilience and hope for a better future. That's what I am doing in the next poem, written in my mother language, Hindi. Again let me remind you, I wrote it when I was about 10-12 years old. So don't get too judgmental.

मेरे प्यारे भारत का भविष्य है बहुत सुनहेरा,
देखो मेरा प्यारा तिरंगा झूम कर है लहरा !
नाचेंगे यहाँ मोर भी पहिन के सोने के पंख,
पैसा बिखरा होगा जैसे समुद्र में हों शंख !
चोर-चकारी का हो जायेगा संपूर्ण अंत,
देश का उद्धार करेंगे कई महान संत !
नहीं होगा आतंक, न ही शांति होगी भंग,
सब जातियां रहेंगी ख़ुशी-ख़ुशी संग-संग !
सब देशों में होगा इस ही का सर्वोत्तम अंक,
सभी होंगे राजा , यहाँ न होगा कोई रंक !
खुशी की नदियाँ बहेंगी न होगा कोई ग़म,
अनेकों वीर योद्धा लेंगे यहाँ जन्म !
सब सज्जनों का प्रयतन लायेगा एक दिन रंग,
मिल-जुल कर जीना बन जायेगा सबका ढंग !
दुनिया पर होगा एक दिन इस ही का राज,
नहीं करेगा कोई यहाँ बेईमानी का काज !
सब लोगों में प्रेम होगा बहुत ही गहरा,
हीरे-मोती से बनेगा एक दिन इसका सहरा !
मेरे प्यारे भारत का भविष्य है बहुत सुनहेरा,
देखो मेरा प्यारा तिरंगा झूम कर है लहरा !

Well, I realize, I ended up drawing too rosy a picture of our future. You may call it wishful thinking of a kid. However, I'll call it a young mind's audacity of hope.

Image Courtesy
Self-Photographed (edited)