9 Jul 2010

Wish



This post was voted as the best from amongst the 70 entries for Blog-a-Ton 12 and won me the Gold Blog-a-Tonic of the Month aka  GOLD BATOM award. Click here to see the results page.

This post got selected for BlogAdda's Tangy Tuesday Picks. Click here to see the BlogAdda page.
This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 12; the twelfth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.


Oye Vijay bhai, Come fast. She’ll be in the verandah anytime now.”

Saying this customary line and banging my door hard, Arun, my neighbouring roomie rushed up through the staircase to join the other guys. As always, I rubbed my eyes, took a big yawn, got up slightly, scratched my pot belly, shedding some body hair in the process and suddenly realizing what the ruckus was all about, sprung up instantaneously. Ignoring the fact that I was in my underwear and was all sweaty due to the Delhi heat, which made sleeping at nights, a hellish experience; I too ran up to join all my fellow P.G.’s.

“Hey, you hirsute, how many times we’ve told you to cover yourself before you come,” yelled Abhinav as I barged into the roof.

“Shut up. I don’t have to mind myself in front of a bunch of gays,” I retorted, pushing him aside to take a strategic position along the railing.

“Weren’t you supposed to get a pair of binoculars from home,” I impulsively asked Rajesh who had just returned from Hyderabad.

“Yeah yeah, Narendra is repairing it and getting it in a while. Don’t get on my nerves,” snapped Rajesh, focusing his eyes towards her terrace in absence of the binoculars.

This was our daily routine, the first thing we did every morning. We, the future of India, the enlightened ones who had taken upon themselves to pull the jittery administrative system of the nation, we the aspiring civil servants, but in short, just a bunch of wannabes.

She used to come to her terrace every morning to do some yoga and aerobics. Her bungalow was a couple of lanes across. However, as both the places where we stayed were the tallest amongst the neighboring ones, we had an eagle’s eye view from our roof.

We all had gathered in the national capital from different parts of the country, some came from the plush plains of Punjab and others from the arid deserts of Rajasthan, some from the coconut coasts of Kerala and others from the mineral rich inlands of Chhattisgarh, some from the sugarcane fields of Maharashtra and others from the spicy land of Andhra Pradesh, all with the same dream in their eyes, to pursue the common ambition of joining the guild of extraordinary not-so-gentlemen.

In an otherwise hectic routine, bird watching was a great respite and since a couple of weeks, we had laid our eyes on this beautiful bird. Frankly, from this distance, it wasn’t easy to recognize her but her milky white complexion and petite physique could not be missed in the small and tight outfits she wore.

For a person like me who fell in love on every snap of the fingers, it took no time to fall in this pit once again. Yes, I loved her. In case you want to correct me and tell me sympathetically that ‘my boy, it was just lust’; let me assure you, in that case according to me, the hormonal attraction between the male and the female can be nothing but lust and the karmic connection of the hearts and the souls is all crap.

While not studying, I used to spend all the time just thinking about her. Her image that kept coming back and made me yearn for her was the one when on an evening, I had seen her grabbing some stuff from the terrace as it had started raining. It was pretty windy too and she struggled as her skirt fluttered, exposing much for a nerd like me to go out-of-control.

I wanted her badly. How I wished to clear my examination soon and barge into her house and ask her to marry me. I know, you must be thinking what a maniac I am. You must also be concerned at the sorry state of affairs that people like me can end up running the country. Well, don’t think that much. Even I knew that I am just fantasizing. But somehow deep within, I wanted at least some fantasies of mine to come true. After all, there was no harm in wishful thinking.

Many such days passed adoring her and the nights, beating the heat in her memories. With no access to television or internet, I had nothing better to do. Finally, the inevitable happened. Our preparatory course got over. Some of us decided to stay back while some like me had already planned to move back to our respective cities to prepare further. So with a heavy heart, for one final time, I woke up early to capture her in my eyes for eternity. The same afternoon, I took a bus destined for my city, Chandigarh.

*

Once back, I was engulfed in serious studies and by sheer hardwork, after just a couple of attempts, I cleared the examinations. I ranked decent enough to make it to the elitist services of the all – The Indian Administrative Services.

Suddenly there was a sea-change in the attitude of people around us. For some time, it was difficult to adapt to the change but soon, I started getting used to it.

As I shifted to Mussoorie for my training, my mother started hunting for brides. Already, I had crossed the average age at which most of my cousins had settled down. However, I was in no hurry.

As time progressed, we started receiving proposals for matrimonial alliance from unknown nooks and corners. The marriage market in India works on the simple economic principle of demand and supply. As the supply of the rare breed like me was low, the demand tended to be pretty high.

I had heard of a man who had topped civil services some years ago and went on to marry the then Union Finance Minister's grand daughter. In doing so he had dumped his girl friend who had been with him since college days, living with him in Delhi whole throughout his preparation and caring for him like a dedicated wife.

When I had heard this story from one of my fellow trainee at LBSNAA in Mussoorie, I had cursed that man. However, today I had started finding some logic in what he had done. Power corrupts, they say and it had definitely started corrupting me. Within two years, I had rejected 25 girls, that is on average more than one every month. Add to it, dozens of proposals that had been rejected at the first filtration level itself, which is by my mother, father or sister. 

If not for my newly acquired elite status, these girls would have just spitted on my face on the mere prospect of spending an hour with me and their rich fathers would have hanged me in full public view on hearing about such preposterous proposal. But today, I was the one who was rejecting them and I surely liked it.

Every time I went to see a girl in some lavish 5-star hotel or a sprawling mansion, I could hear a song playing in the background – 'I've got the power'. The parameters on which I evaluated them weren’t their beauty or intelligence but the status of their fathers and their ability to pull the strings at the centre to help me in my deputations, transfers and promotions.

Initially, I had wondered how these groom hunting scavengers came to know about me, till Arun had made an unbelievable revelation.

“Don’t you remember, after your training got over at Mussoorie, all of you were given an information booklet containing your contact details?” he asked me.

“Yeah, so what?” I had answered, puzzled by the odd question.

“So my dear friend, you don’t know that while you guys were just around 100 or so, the booklets printed were nearly 5000. Now don’t ask me where the spare copies go,” he had revealed as I saw a halo appearing around his small head.

This was a rumor or a fact, I didn’t know but it definitely had some logic to it.

Arun, who got through the civil services in the very first attempt had joined the bride hunting game a year earlier than me. Given his modest upbringing and ordinary looks, any girl would have been a prize catch for him. But now with the IRS tag, his demand had gone up by leagues.

"Are you a virgin," he had asked one girl, daughter of a wealthy businessman.

"Yaar, she was just too unbelievingly hot, that I had to confirm," he had later told me embarrassingly.

"Are you?" was what the girl had replied with a mischievous smile on her face.

Poor Arun was neatly trapped by this question. Both the answers would have embarrassed him in front of her; a yes meant he was a big looser, which he definitely was, and a no meant, he was a big hypocrite, which again he was to some extent. 

They ended up marrying and upon returning from the honeymoon, Arun proudly declared to me that she was teaching him all the moves.

*

It was a pleasant Delhi morning, a rare weather in the capital, when my mother declared that we have to go for yet another rendezvous with some prospective in-laws for me.

As most of the times, I enquired nothing about the girl but just her father. Though his credentials didn't sound so great, there was no harm in having a lavish lunch at his expense.

"Arre, this place must be pretty close to where you stayed while your preparation," my father exclaimed as we approached the area.

"Chalo, it's nice. I might give a courtesy call to Colonel Uncle," I said referring to the person at whose place I used to stay as a PG.

"It seems pretty close," my mother said as we passed the lane leading to Colonel Uncle's bungalow.

We took the next to next right and soon the driver honked in front of a massive gate.

"We've reached sahib," said the driver as I for a moment went blank.

As the gates to the mansion opened, I could just stare in amazement. For four months, I had loitered in front of these gates hoping to take a view inside. Finally, they were being opened for me, the gates to the abode where my dream girl resided.

I couldn't believe what was happening. The atheist in me suddenly seemed crumbling and I gave a sigh, 'Oh, Lord!'

We were welcomed by a horde of servants who led us to the door where the owner of the mansion was waiting for us.

“Hello, Mr. Arora. Welcome to my humble cottage,” he said extending his hands to greet my father, choosing that stale line from innumerable Bollywood movies but without any trace of humility to be found in it.

Soon we were seated in the drawing room which was big enough to accommodate my whole house back in Chandigarh.

I waited impatiently for what was next in store for me.

As I picked a glass of water, I heard a clatter of high heels and turned to my left to see a woman approaching through the lobby. I wore my spectacles to see clearly and was amazed at what I saw.

It was her, my dream girl approaching me with a huge smile on her face. I was seeing her after five long years and she definitely looked a little elder than what I had imagined her to be. Afterall, the distance between our homes had never allowed me to see her clearly and considerable time had elapsed in between.

However, she was undoubtedly angelic, someone from out of this world. Her long hair were left loose and I could smell their fragrance, sitting many yards away. Her body was toned just the way it used to be though she wore a little too much than what I was used to see her in.

“Here comes my dear wife,” announced my prospective father-in-law.

Suddenly, I felt floor slipping under my feet. I just could not imagine what I just heard. However, coming out of my dream and thinking logically, it all made sense. She by no means looked like a prospective bride.

I just kept staring at her as she came and greeted us and sat just across to me.

Soon, their daughter too joined us and my parents started talking to her, asking her about her likes and dislikes and everything possible under the sky.

“She is just 19 right. Isn’t she a little too young?” my mother asked my dream girl.

“Well, Mrs. Arora, when I got married, I was just 17. It’s a common thing in our families. The younger the bride, it’s easier for her to adapt to the new environment. Otherwise, my daughter has been good at studies. She’ll be completing her B.A. this year,” she replied with a charming smile on her face.

We sat there for about couple of hours, had lunch and had some discussions with her husband, the guy whom I envied the most today. Mere sitting in front of her was making me go crazy. I felt that same urge, I used to feel back in those days. Today sitting so close, I felt, as if I could just see her through. I could feel butterflies in my stomach on this very imagination. I wished everyone else just disappeared leaving two of us alone in this trance.

All this while, I was just lost in my own thoughts. I preferred not to have any tete-a-tete with the young girl who was also sitting there somehow uninterested, preparing herself to be slaughtered in this impersonal pact between a businessman and an administrative official.

Soon it was the time to leave and after exchanging some pleasantries, we were on our way back.

“So Beta, did you like the girl,” asked my father expectantly.

“Don’t you think she looks a bit too young for him,” commented my mother still not fully convinced.

“Maybe, I am a bit young for her,” I murmured, lost in my own thoughts.

“What?” asked my mother puzzled.

“Nothing. I mean yes, I liked the girl. I want her to be my bride,” I replied, deep inside wishing for an unthinkable as my parents gave a final sigh of relief.

***

Disclaimer
This is a work of fiction based on some ugly truths of our society. However, I have used the names of all the good friends I had made in New Delhi when I stayed there for half a year, preparing for civil services. 

Off-the-topic Reflections
I got the idea for writing this short story while travelling back from New Delhi after attending the Blog-a-Ton Anniversary Celebrations Meet. As I could not dilute the idea, I decided to write the story before doing any other writing. Because of it, I missed writing about the Meet on my blog. I'll take this opportunity to thank Richa for making all the arrangements for the meet in such an organised manner. I must also thank Geetanjali and Himanshu for the roles they played in organising the event. And not to forget all the fellow bloggers who attended the meet; thanks a lot.
While we were enjoying in Delhi, Rashi and Siddhesh organised the meets in Mumbai and Pune. I must thank both of them and all those who attended the meet for making this day so special for me and all the blog-a-tonics. I must also mention and thank Venky who did an update on Pune Meet.
Long Live BAT!!!

Image Courtesy:
http://media.photobucket.com (original)

The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

67 comments:

Shilpa Garg said...

Ah!! What a wish!!
Least expected!! Nevertheless, very interesting!
All the best for BAT-12.
Cheers :)

Deepika said...

A wish that came true!! lovely story vipul!! :D

Unknown said...

interesting. good story!

Amity said...

I was about to believe it was a true story of you and it would be excellently quite interesting Vipul...only the disclaimer at the end was written too small, I mean the font...:-)

I learned a lot from your culture and traditions here Vipul...thanks for sharing...India is really an interesting nation!

Have a nice day and good luck for BATOM!

aativas said...

Yes, you have nicely captured one of the 'ugly truths' in the society. Well written.

Vibhuti Bhandarkar said...

Hahaha..“So my dear friend, you don’t know that while you guys were just around 100 or so, the booklets printed were nearly 5000. Now don’t ask me where the spare copies go,” he had revealed as I saw a halo appearing around his small head." Indeed a truth about the way our society works.
WISH I was as creative as you are. Never imagined an angle like this to a topic like that.
Kudos Marshal!!!

R! said...

What a wish... Only you could have come with this angle of the topic.
Nevertheless, the narration is captivating; at no point did i feel like skipping a line.

Good job. Kp Up!!

P.S. when u will marry, will u also check out the girl's mom??? :P

Pramathesh said...

Kamina Insaan. The story was damn good yaar.

geeta said...

A completely different take on the topic touching the reality....

You know how to keep your readers engrossed...


P.S Heartiest Congratulations on BAT Anniversary and the successful bloggers meets...
Great work Marshal !!

Keep moving,keep growing ...This is all I can wish..

Geeta

Vipul Grover said...

@Shilpa.. Haha.. least expected indeed.. Thought of goign little ADULT RATED this time :p
Thanks 4 ur wishes :)

@Deeps.. Well, didnt exactly come true :p
Thanx for visiting and appreciating :)

@Michelle.. Welcome to my blog and blog-a-ton :)
Thnx 4 dropping by.. keep participating!

Vipul Grover said...

@Amity.. haha.. no um not yt tht lucky to gt thru the exam.. js a teacher in a coaching institute :)
Well, um happy tht the story cud serve sum purpose of opening u to sum truths about indian society bt lemme ensure u tht thr r many nice facets 2 india and not js sch ugly ones :)
nd yeah v definitely dont lust upon our soon-to-be mother-in-laws :p

@Savitaa.. thnx a lot.. keep encouraging :)

@Vibhuti.. well this is an actual anecdote, a colleague whoz frnd got thru d exam, shared with me :)
thnx so mch 4 d appreciative wrds.. really pumped up 2 write more now :)

Vipul Grover said...

@Richa.. Oh, only me.. awwwwww.. now is tht appreciating my creativity or calling me the biggst pervert :p
well, as for chcking out my mom-in-law goes, mmmmmmmm, well mayb tht bcms a factor aftr this story ;)
thnx 4 d cool review :)


@Pramathesh.. haha.. kamina hu main :p
thnx buddy 4 d title, c i wnt for image makeovr ;)

@Geeta.. First of all thanks for your wishes for BAT.. Its all possible due to blogatonics like u :)
And secondly, thnx 4 appreciating my work of fiction.. um happy I kept u engrossed :)

Dhiman said...

Fiction hi hai na? :P

Vipul Grover said...

nahin dhiman dada, sach me meri shaadi ho gayi hai aur mai apni saas par marta hu :p
Oh sorry forgot 2 invite u :p

Anonymous said...

nice.. ATB.. :)

Sparkling Star said...

Wish coming true!! Nice read!
ATB and do check mine:
http://swathipradeepworld.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/wish/"

D2 said...

This is a really interesting story. It depicts the way our society works perfectly. In fact I'd be amazed if the story wasn't true!
All the best, Marshal. :)

Vikram Pyati said...

Brilliantly written. Not all our wishes come true!!

Vipul Grover said...

@Bedlam.. thanx.. keep reflecting :)

@Swathi.. Wish coming partially true :p
Will be checking ur post soon :)

@D2.. Hey welcome to my blog and Blog-a-Ton as well :)
well, yeah its a sad truth about the way marriages that r said to be made in heaven are made here on earth..
thnx 4 the wishes :)

@Vikram.. Yeah they dont, bt can cum true partially as in this story :p
Thnx 4 appreciating.. welcome 2 blog-a-ton :)

Anonymous said...

this is super duper...
i dont want to get intellectual here and say what has already been said..
it was good indeed..
what has become of man is what comes to my mind...
good one vipul :)
best wishes
and can not the meet happen in kolkata some day?

Jaspreet said...

Amazing post!!..a gripping read.It actually depicts how the mind rules over the heart once a person becomes successful..moreover the diplomacy of our society in dealing with arranged marriages is explained well.

Urvashi said...

It was amazing...the whole description n the unexpected turn at the end and indeed a different view of the topic....

Good Luck for the contest.. TC :)

Vee said...

Vipul - a big lol :D
Wish with a twist huh?!

Vipul Grover said...

@Vivek.. Hey welcome to this blog buddy.. thnx a lot for appreciating my wrk nd 4 d wishes.. wat hs becm of man.. mmmm.. on a lighter note.. men will be men :p

@Jaspreet.. Hi, welcome to this blog :)
thnx a ton 4 reading nd liking this post.. more thnx 4 dropping in this cmmnt.. bt yeah i'll crrct u at one place.. here actually finally his heart ruled ovr his mind :)
Nd yeah, by any chance wer u studying at bulls eye recently??

@Urvashi.. Hi.. well sum gr8 cmmnts one aftr d othr.. feeling gr8 :)
thnx a lot and keep retrning :)

@Vee.. haha.. right.. half fulfilled wishes :D
thnx 4 dropping by :)

Someone is Special said...

What a wish... It was awesome man.. I totally loved the narration of the hidden truth of our society.

I wish you good luck for BATOM-12

Saravana Kumar - Wish

Yours Frendly,
Saravana Kumar M

Jaspreet said...

Hi..'mind rules over heart' coz smewhr u said that he started rejecting girls when earlier he used to fall in luv so fast n also coz of d instance whr a man dumped his gf to marry someone from an affluent political family.
yes I was studying at d bulls eye :)
have seen u around!!
btw i really like ur blog.all d best!!

Gauri said...

Superb story and an altogether interesting take on the topic.

I also liked the Arun's bride meeting bit LOL!

Good Wishes for BAT12 Vipul!

Gkam - Wish

adarshs said...

nice one vipul...i cud see a twist coming, i was thinkin more on bhabhi or sister lines....btw, a lot o girls with hot mothers ll start havin doubts over u..lol

Vipul Grover said...

@Saravana.. Hey thnx buddy.. yeah what a creepy wish, right :p
Keep visiting :)

@Jaspreet.. Well u r spot on nd thnx 4 reading nd interpreting the story so deeply.. thts d most encouraging thing for an author.. bt the whole picture of how mind rules ovr heart was drawn to show in the end, how the protagonist finally follows the heart (Though his credentials didn't sound so great, there was no harm in having a lavish lunch at his expense.)..
keep visiting :)

@Gkam.. Thnx buddy.. ahhhhh finally sum1 takes notice of Arun's bride meeting :)
all the best 2 u too.. will be visiting soon :)

@Adarsh.. Hey thnx nd welcome 2 Blog-a-Ton.. well, twists are inevitable in my stories.. nd yeah bhabhi nd sister wud have sufficed too.. bt thn mom-in-law sounds better :p
nd well, i hop this story gts erased frm the minds of d grls soon :p

swayambhu said...

Hahaha....nice plot!! Do you harbour such wishes yourself? just curious..

annucool15 said...

hey lovely story! i hardly tend to read long paras on the internet, but you made me read till the end and it was so worth it!

Tuppence said...

Good Post, Vipul.
As always, a master piece from the Marshal.
Kept me reading till the end. It fit well into the topic.

Good luck

Moutusi said...

Very well written Vipul. Was hooked to it from start to finish. Wish you luck for the contest. :)

Vipul Grover said...

@Swayambhu.. No, no, not at all :p
Cant say about future ;)
Thnx 4 dropping by and giving it a read.. keep retrning :)

@Anuradha.. Awwwww.. now thts wt u call a cool review :)
Thnx a ton.. Welcome to the world of Blog-a-Ton :)

@Tuppence.. Thnq so mch frnd.. Keep encouraging like this.. alwez a pleasure to c u in my cmmnts section :)

@Moutushi.. Hi, welcome to my blog :)
Thnx 4 d wishes and the kind words.. keep reflecting :)

Rachana Shakyawar said...

@ Vipul

Starting from the last...
as you have already mentioned in the post disclaimer that this story got some ugly truths of the society...perhaps they does exists!

Interestingly you have expressed them so well that while I was reading those lines...I could feel the pinch so hard of the punch-lines!

As you already know that when the last time your wrote some love story I said I simply loved it...indeed..this one too is so well captured in details and expression. I truly felt you were talking of some Delhi like place though I read the Delhi name latter! :P

Seriously Vipul, Your expression is so stunning...that I just wish it dose not ends so quickly and feel to continue reading ahead forever!

Simply loved it! It was a smooth blissful reading! Thanks so much for sharing the note!

B/w Next time can you describe the 'girl' in whole more that what you have already done..!?

Over all...MAst hai!


I have been travelling a lot past sometime and same was on the date of submission too...just Wished if I could also participate in "Wish" contest of BATOM! hmmm..Wish!! ~Next time keep the topic "HAVE TO"...As next time I just "HAVE TO" participate in BATOM :))

~ Keep the Spark ALive..

Lost in thoughts said...

A creepy wish...
Good ending.

ATB

magiceye said...

wonderfully penned/typed!!!!

best wishes for BAT12

Vipul Grover said...

@Rachana.. Now thats one comment I alwez wait for.. a detailed straight from the heart review from one of the most active and sweetest blog-a-tonic :)
Thnx buddy for appreciating this story.. And I promise, if you keep encouraging me like this, soon I'll write a novel which will not end so quickly and you'll get it's signed copy :)
Talking of the girl and describing her in detail, well, that's one thing where my creativity crumbles.. wanted to write about it where I have mentioned, how angelic she looked but couldnt build a detailed picture.. will surely work on this shortcoming in future :)
And yeah, I had promised myself that this time I'll read ur cmplete post and not crib about its length bt mmmmmm.. u skipped the BAT :p

@Manjunath.. Hi, welcome to this blog.. thnx 4 the wishes :)

@Magiceye.. Thnx a lot.. keep reflecting :)

Sirius Black said...

I loved the story.
I remember reading your blog long back and i have to say its still as good as it used to be :)

Cheerz

Vipul Grover said...

Hey Sirius Black, thnx for dropping by again and appreciating this blog and this post in particular.. I hope nxt time u dont mention tht u hd been here long back.. keep visiting :)

Baatein unkahi si said...

See, it just goes to prove that one has to be careful what you wish for because you never know in what form, it may come true!!
Nice piece of fiction. All the best for BAT-12.

Vikas Khair said...

Ha Ha Ha . Vipul sorry yaar for laughing but what a story most wonderful and interesting flow unexpected turn. All the best for BAT-12

Vipul Grover said...

@Parul.. haha.. rightly said :)
Welcome to my blog and Blog-a-Ton as well.. Hoping to see you around more oftn.. keep reflecting :)

@Vikas.. Well, story is meant to end with ha ha ha only.. so ur laughing actually puts a 'passed' seal on this post :)
Thnx 4 visitng and sharing ur thoughts about the post.. will b reading ur wishes soon :)

Tavish Chadha(sensible-bakwas.com) said...

what a wish! Lovely narration as usual Marshal... :)

Vipul Grover said...

@Tavish.. Thnx buddy :)

Yamini Meduri said...

lovely story vipul nice one..!!!

Brijender Singh said...

Nice one vipul-if this story has elements of the truth in it,it makes you wonder at the inverted minds of the people who work so hard for the civil sevices,doesnt it? They must be a sad bunch of perverted megalomaniacs !!

Vipul Grover said...

@Ms. Meduri.. thnx so mch.. keep visiting :)

@BS.. Thnx.. well the sad truths pertain to our marriage market.. the perverted elements are just work of fiction.. so lets not accuse all civil services aspirants.. b/w two of us, thr hav been two of thm :p

Siddhesh Kabe said...

Thats the creepy truth of our society. Excellent post and yes congo for the spicy saturday pic!!!

Tweety said...

lovely....as always u kept me hooked to your story...n sigh...his wish came true only in ways he never expected

Bharathi said...

I can see bits and pieces of honesty every where in this post. I appreciate that. I would have expected you to extend the 'off the topic reflections' a little more. You could have analyzed the 'wish' of common people little more. I normally expect this stuff from you more than an interesting story. However, I am planning to write a post for nearly two months now. Hope that would be like an extension to your "off the topic reflections" ( and yeah this could also be a trick to bring you back to my blog again ;-)

Vipul Grover said...

@Sid.. Yup, vry creepy, thnx 2 my creepy imagination :p
thnx a lot :)

@Tweety.. Um happy I cud keep u hooked yet again :)
Well, as for his wish, at least it got fulfilled in a part :p

@Bharathi.. Aah, thr u r aftr ages.. well, smhow i've changed the theme of this blog frm ramblings to stories.. bt i alwez ensure tht stories cnvey sum msg.. thru this one i'v told true story of the marriage market. ofcourse it hs been coated with a story of an individual..
Do write ur post.. i'll obviously b thr 2 read it :)

Blasphemous Aesthete said...

she's a little too old for me....


hahhahaha ROFL


nice story

Mahesh Aadhya Kalal said...

The strings attached to a civil services officer's initial life is very well explained .

I loved reading this...
coz,
am an agnostic and am a civil services aspirant(didnt clear mains)....

Vipul Grover said...

@Anonymous Someone.. Hi.. welcome to the blog.. thnx 4 leaving ur footprints:)

@Mahesh.. Thnx buddy, well evn i stopped at the mains stage..
Thnx 4 appreciating the post.. keep reflecting :)

Guria said...

Congrats Vipul! This was really good though not your best) and a good win. I really enjoy the plots you manage to weave. But more than the story of 'Wish', I enjoyed the description of the change in life and lifestyle in the story.

Vipul Grover said...

Hey Guria, nice to c u yaar :)
Well, even I agree this is not my best one though dear to me like evry othr tale i've weaved..
thnx 4 appreciating it and for the wishes :)

Debosmita said...

Wah re wah! kya story hain Vipul ;-)
Woh disclaimer jhooth hain na?? bolo bolo??? ;-) ;-P

Loved the storyline and narration. Though the twist was seen coming, the way you described your (I mean, the protagonist's) reactions made for a superb read. Congrats on the win!

What update on your civil services exams? Have you cleared/still preparing?

Makk said...

You have been tagged Marshal.

check my page.

Anonymous said...

Bloody awesome wish, Vipul.. and pretty insane too,..

Have fun..fulfilling the 'wish' ;)

Vipul Grover said...

@Debosmita.. Hey, nice 2 c u..
yup wo disclaimer ek dum jhoot hai.. aise hi likh diya :p
thnx 4 d appreciation nd d wishes :)
Well, prsntly i droppd an attmpt this yr, so kinda neithr cleared nor preparing!

@Makk.. will visit soon :)

@Sadhagopal.. Hi welcome to my blog. thnx 4 dropping by and leaving ur footprints. I hop sch a wish remains js in fiction. othrwise fun can b dangerous :)
keep reflecting!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Interesting;) Now I'm starting to get a peek into that mind of yours;)...Rock on brother

Vipul Grover said...

haha.. mind can be deceptive :)
thnx bro!!!

Jayashree Srivatsan said...

HI Vipul

That was an interesting one..."my dream girl approaching me with a huge smile on her face"...made me guess the actual identity of the girl...no to-be-bride would come with a huge smile on her face :) ha ha.... Enjoyed reading your blog....no "i-need-a-dictionary" words and great flow.

Vipul Grover said...

Hey welcome to this blog jayashree.. well, by the time u guessed her identity, i already revealed it :p
thnx a lot for dropping by and leaving ur footprints.. keep reflecting :)

Ankit Srivastava said...

What an engrossing write! The undertones of sarcasm on the existent matrimonial system blended with the humor touching daily lives made the tale all the more interesting. Fantastic!

Vipul Grover said...

Thnx ..ashes.. 4 appreciating the story.. u'v summd up the story in one line pretty nicely.. dont gt 2 read sch nice reviews normally.. keep reflecting :)